Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Silence Prevails??

I am tired of talking to myself on this thing…

I’ve been ill on and off for awhile. I can’t find a proper diagnosis, so I simply call it Chad. This weekend I went to the hospital in Abeche, which was a tourist experience to be had. Using our connections, we (meaning I am not alone in my Chad) were quickly seen for the always useful malaria test. They offered to do some other tests, but I opted to refrain (peeing in a cup without a bathroom?), and settled in for the quick finger prick malaria test. Well, that quick finger prick turned into a rather interesting discussion on Bush and I was so pleased to find some sympathetic Chadians (“We love Clinton!”). In the end, the big result was negative, but I was still sent off with a collection of drugs.

I also found some time in Abeche to read the newspaper at UNHCR – well papers from last month, but it’s still news to me! Riots in Paris, protests in Tehran, the usual Thomas Friedman op-ed, German grand coalition – who knew?

I took a field trip early last week with an obliging NGO to Tine, on the Sudanese border. It is the shopping Mecca of Eastern Chad, so I had pretty big expectations, as I am sure you can imagine. What I found was a funny little Chinatown of sorts – lots of Penasonics, but not many people buying! I was also initially overwhelmed by the military presence, but was pleasantly surprised to find that many of them are African Union (AU) troops – the Tine bunch were Senegalese. Frankly, I thought they were only in Darfur, but apparently their mandate has been expanded to include Eastern Chad. Interesting, indeed.

Most annoying event of the day? The Prefect coming to my office this morning and expecting ME to stop all work to be his secretary, type some letters and print them (mind you our printer works NEVER and we have to hassle to turn on the generator and burn our fuel to engage in such an endeavor). The Prefect is appointed by the President and this one is so typically young and arrogant, at the same time, the Chadian staff walk on eggshells for him. I brushed off the Prefect, saying that I don’t speak French anyways, but then one of my staff just had to pipe up and volunteer herself and my computer. Terrific. I bit my tongue for a good hour until I could show the man the door.

Ah, CHAD!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

hi, Kelly. I found your Northern Uganda blog several months ago and have been keeping up with your Africa experiences since. Sounds like Chad is tough. I hope it hope it ends up being a good experience, though, minus the Prefect and the food and all...

it's interesting getting your perspective of life in a part of Africa I really wouldn't know much about otherwise, with all it's ups and downs. Now when I hear Chad I'll be thinking of dusty roads and oatmeal dinners and little refugee girls.

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home