Monday, October 24, 2005

No papers, No travel

Alright, I should know better than to assume that everything will go according to plan. I am stranded in N’djamena for the time being, awaiting some big bureaucrat’s signature on my papers for travel and work in Eastern Chad. While I shouldn’t complain, and I should indeed enjoy some of the capital city comforts, N’djamena is a bit of a purgatory. In addition to what I’ve mentioned about security in the city and my inability to move around freely, there is nothing I can accomplish work wise from the capita – N’djamena and Eastern Chad are essentially worlds apart. I am simply on hold until I can get out into the field. And to give you an idea of just how expensive this place is; in under four days I managed to burn my entire food allowance. Yesterday I joined some people at one of the hotels for a buffet lunch and swim at a total cost of $40. I am currently surviving off of handouts until I can get another allowance…

I am doing what I can to be somewhat productive. I’ve met some of my colleagues who are Iriba based, and in addition to briefings of my predecessor, I am getting the Iriba/Eastern Chad lowdown. Those on their way out of Chad love to point to little N’djamena luxuries and taunt how I won’t be seeing that anywhere in the east! People have stressed over and over again the importance of sharing resources. To put it more bluntly, I need to make friends with the right people to get what I need in Iriba. Using my Franglais, I’ve already started the building blocks to wooing colleagues from other organizations possessing showers, satellite phones, and wine. I think the winning ticket was my Michael Jackson dance skills, as I at least think the others are convinced that I would make a good addition to any Iriba party.

Again, rushed on the internet. There just isn't time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home