Monday, October 17, 2005

En route

Destination: N'djamena, then Eastern Chad.
First stop: town in the southern US, which shall remain nameless

And so the next journey begins. I'm writing from a hotel room, which is certainly nothing new, unable to sleep after a long quest seeking a simple salad without the word "fried" or creamy ranch-blue cheese in the title. I've gone through yet another round of hellos and goodbyes, with more hellos to come, and I am just now allowing my mind to wander towards that ellusive Chad.

Yet another trip to Africa and I can't help but reflect on the journey I have traveled from Rwanda to Uganda, back to Uganda again, and now Chad. I have to wonder what is it all for and will I ever actually be able to offer more than I get out of this? I shall obstain from the philosophical digression on the merits and downfalls of aid work, but it somehow remains an unavoidable dilemma. But what I hope to do is provide some insight into yet another corner of the world that many can never imagine exists. The challenges will be many, not least of all, simple communication. No mobile phone networks this time around. Satellite internet? Not at this time. And unlike my colleagues across the border in Darfur who are increasingly targets for simply doing their work and have to obstain from being outspoken due to fear of being deported, arrested, abducted, and I dare say killed, I hope that the imaginary border that seperates Chad from Sudan will provide a little breathing room to be frank and upfront. But we will have to see about that.

Until Chad...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly,

Thank you for maintaining your blogs. They make fascinating reading. You should write some books about your experiences when you get the opportunity.

There is a small error in your BBC Africa link. You have http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/default.stm/ The final / generated a "page not found" error in my browser. In other words you should simply have http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/default.stm

Keep safe.

Pat O'Sullivan,

Ireland.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home